Saturday, May 30, 2009

Homemade Goods

As a mom who has recently given birth, healthy foods are on my mind a lot. That is to say I think about how I should be eating healthy foods...I don't always do that, though. I have some pounds I'd like to lose this summer, and I've been thinking of ways to try and make more of my foods instead of buying pre-packaged things.

I bake bread. No bread machine (though that would be nice sometimes!). No preservatives. I know every single ingredient that goes into each loaf. That's one good way to be healthy. Baking our bread for sandwiches, dinner rolls for meals, pancakes for breakfasts, and homemade cakes and cookies. Cakes and cookies aren't always healthy, even homemade, but again I know each ingredient that is going into it and there are no preservatives.

Buy fresh meats instead of frozen meals. Sure, frozen breaded chicken patties or chicken nuggets are convenient, BUT why not just buy the fresh chicken breasts? You can cut, season/marinade, and freeze your own. It will take a little extra time for preparation, but it's worth it when you're not overloaded with all the sodium and additives in the frozen items. I say the only good frozen items are fruits, veggies, and ice cream. Everything else you can make yourself and freeze on your own.

Make your own snacks. Prepare your version of trail mix by combining dried fruits, nuts, and granola. Store bought trail mixes can have preservatives in them or even added sugars or sodium. Plus, when you make your own you can get as creative as you want. Buy some Chex cereal and combine it with raisins, dried cranberries, and peanuts for a tasty treat.

Lastly, steam your fresh veggies instead of buying canned veggies. I admit, I like to buy canned or frozen corn and peas....but that's mostly because fresh corn can be costly except for certain times of the year. As for carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, asparagus, etc.....buy them fresh and steam them. Steaming holds in more vitamins that boiling them does. And buying them all fresh adds a lot more flavor than buying a can of it. You can add all kinds of seasonings and still be much healthier than buying them prepared. Again, this saves you an insane amount of sodium intake. And you get a lot better taste.

So, for those of us looking to eat healthier to help lose those unwanted pounds or just take better care of ourselves, try these couple of ideas. If you have any of your own, feel free to post. I'm always looking for good advice when it comes to food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment