Friday, January 28, 2011

Proverbs 31:27

"She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." 

Wow. That can be a tricky verse. Ok, it's pretty self-explanatory but putting it into practice can be tricky. I have a certain time every day where I'd like to just sit and relax....and it's not during the quiet/rest time I've scheduled for myself. This feeling usually comes on mid-afternoon when I'm feeling my sugar is low, I haven't had enough water to drink, and I am tired of breaking up the girls' fights. 

All I want to do at that time is sit and sleep or give up. BUT, that would ruin my planned out day. 

The first half of that verse, to me, really makes me consider my daily to do lists. I created my daily list and it coincides with my weekly to do list. I figure all my days out and feel pretty proud of myself that I'm getting what I want done, but I need to remember it's about my family and what their needs are. I must make sure I am prioritizing family needs ahead of just the things I want to see done. I can plan out my days all I want, but if it's not done well as the verse indicates, then it's pointless.

The second half of that verse seemed pretty obvious to me. Again, though, I find that some things I'm doing could be considered idleness in the big scheme of things. Facebook, emails, reading blogs....I have great intentions for all of them - keeping in touch, getting new ideas, etc. - but unless they are making my day and my well-planned to do list even more productive, then maybe I need to put those on the back burner. 

I am sitting her on the couch, covered with a blanket, water bottle next to me, and the girls upstairs in bed. I can't do much in the kitchen during their naps because the house is small and the noise carries. Sometimes I feel  like I could just turn on the TV and veg out for an hour. Is that productive? Not really. I think a better idea would be to do those online things I want to do later in the afternoon, unproductive feeling time. I could read the blogs, check in with family and friends and clear out emails right now. Then, I wouldn't be so tempted later in the day to neglect a family need and sit down and tool around online. 

God has really been working on me this week with my time. Time management. My view of time. My prioritizing. Everything to do with scheduling and planning and carrying it out. He has really spoken to me through a couple different moms online (Christian women that have blogs discussing what they do for their families and how they relate that to their ministry of motherhood). I have picked up a couple great things to make habits of and a couple things to keep in mind as I work around the house. 

Not being idle has been a key thing this week. Yes, I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my fourth child. Yes, I have 3 other children under 5. Yes, I have a slight (Ok, HUGE) obsession with cleaning. No, that doesn't make me a supermom in any way. It makes me stretched....sometimes more than I'd like to be but never more than I can handle being. :) God is amazing and will show Himself to us....but only if we're looking for Him. He's not going to jump out in front of us to tell us something; He wants us to look for Him and trust in Him. I can't be looking for Him if I'm being idle in the roles He's given me. He can't show me great things if I'm sitting around wasting time. 

I feel like I just threw a bunch of my thoughts out there, and it's very possible that they didn't flow well or didn't make sense. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened! I just feel like I've discovered something about myself and my role as Mother and my job as house manager that will help me understand things so much more. 

"Do everything without complaining and arguing." Philippians 2:14 (NLT)

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not for men." Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord HE is God; it is He who hath made us and not we ourselves. We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with singing and into His courts with praise. Be thankful unto Him and bless His name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and His truth endureth to all generations." Psalm 100 (KJV)


I LOVE LOVE LOVE these verses! They are great reminders of how we are to work, what kind of attitude and heart we should have, and WHY we should - because HE is God. :)


Great encouragement at the end of a long and prosperous week. Such a great way to enter the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment