Saturday, January 8, 2011

What's for dinner?

Today was a weird day. All week I've made sure to check the calendar and see what events, if any, we have going on. I noted several weeks ago that today was a housewares party at my neighbor's home, but for some reason failed to remember to see it today. So, I had no babysitter lined up but had RSVP'd yes. 

Go me.

She called to remind me, so after the girls were up from naps we went over for a little bit. Iris failed to recognize why interrupting people is rude, which completely frustrated me. We go through this several nights each week during dinner, when she tries to interrupt Mom or Dad. I know she knows not to do it, but I think her excitement to be out today and around other people got the best of her. I think everyone there was a mother, so no one seemed bothered by it. But I was the ONLY one that had to bring my kids with, so I was embarrassed. I needed to plan this much better than I did (or didn't, rather). 

For dinner, I had some ground beef thawing in the fridge but no meal planned out. I found a decent-sounding skillet recipe, so we're going with that. I actually had 2 pounds of beef thawing and only needed one, so I'm browning the other pound to hold on to for later next week. 

Sometimes I wish I had a best friend. I mean, my husband is my bestest friend ever and we talk about everything...but I think sometimes he'd rather not listen to my woman talk and I'd be better off talking to the wall. :) I can't blame him; there is some guy talk that I just don't care about and have a hard time sitting through. Sports, for example. Unless I'm really in the sports mood and following a Bears game, I am just not ready to listen to any sports talk...at all! I could not care less about which players are hurt, the fantasy football league, or anything else about sports. I think he can sense that; he rarely talks about football with me anymore unless we're watching a game together. 

Anyway, my sister was always my closest friend in high school, even when we were fighting. She knew everything about me even through college and when I did my apprenticeship. We were hundreds of miles apart, but we still talked. Now, it's getting harder because we both have kids and schedules during the day and husbands at night. I tried to make it a point to call her or talk with her every Friday, but that didn't last too long. I forgot a lot of the time or just felt like I had nothing to say, even though I know as soon as we start talking I can't stop blabbering. :)

I don't like talking on the phone all that much these days. There's always background noise or I'm correcting one of the girls or trying to wash dishes or make dinner. I know I can MAKE some time to make the calls to whomever, but I get preoccupied with something else or just get lazy. 

Some times when we get together with friends or family, I feel like all I have to talk about is the kids. I don't really follow any TV programs or sports teams or Hollywood stuff, so I don't have those topics to bring up. I am into reading everything I can about homeschooling these days, so maybe once I meet some other moms that homeschool I will have that to chat about. 

I don't want to feel sorry for myself at all. I have wonderful kids, and I'm very blessed to be able to stay home with them and be able to take them out with us when we go anywhere because they WILL behave. I enjoy doing family things. I just get lonely for a good girl friend that would be able to take the time and just listen to me whine about a tough day with the kids or about a new recipe. My husband doesn't need to hear me complain about the kids' behavior after he's just spent a rough day dealing with families of a deceased. He's got enough on his plate with work and providing and the looong drive to and from work. He needs to be able to relax when he gets here, not dole out punishment for the day's actions. Call me old-fashioned, but I really like the idea of everything being tidied and dinner on the table when Arthur gets home. I like being able to have everything in order, so he CAN just relax. I believe that's part of being a homemaker. Not just taking care of the kids and cleaning but making the home presentable and inviting for when Arthur gets home. He has to clean and look after every little thing at work; he shouldn't have to come home to a mess or be bothered with the nonsense that should've been taken care of already.

Speaking of, he will be home soon and I need to check on the meal. Table is set, girls are picking up their toys and books. TV is off. I think I would have loved living in the 1940's (is that the right decade?), when that's what women did and no one made a big stink about it being sexist. :) Women didn't work, they just took care of the kids and the home. I guess it's not for everyone, though. I suppose not every woman in those times was happy to be home. I'll just be thankful I can do it and that I can enjoy it....whether or not it's perfect every day and even without another woman to share things with. I guess I am looking for someone who feels the same way about all these things, but I'm unlikely to find someone exactly like me. I should work on the relationships with girlfriends I DO have and focus on encouraging them to be the best mom and wife they can.

I need to go re-read Proverbs 31. It's a nice reality check. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment