Friday, October 22, 2010

Mama's Chili, sort of

I LOVE anything my mom cooks...and bakes. Seriously. BEST COOK/BAKER EVER!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm making chili for our pumpkin carving day. I called her today to get her chili recipe because only she makes it the best! Of course, she told me it's not her recipe but that of another mom at my old school. Oh well. I pretend it's hers. :) Thought I'd share it on here. Nothing fancy, nothing different. Just a simple meat and beans chili. My favorite. I don't like change when it comes to chili. I'm a beef and beans chili kind of girl, no weird flavors or spices or ingredients. 

So, here it is!

1 lb ground beef
2-3 tsp chili powder (more or less depending on your taste)
1 tsp sugar
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, minced
15 oz can of tomato sauce with tomato bits in it (OR plain tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes!)
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic, crushed
Pinch of cumin (again, more or less to your preference)
1 can any red beans (I use kidney)

1. Brown meat and drain.
2. Add chili powder, sugar, onion, and green pepper to meat and simmer til veggies are soft.
3. Add everything else except the beans and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the beans and simmer for at least 30 more minutes.

Serve with cheese. YUM! Or try serving with a scoop of sour cream and then the cheese on top. Oo-la-la! Oh, and of course, have lots of oyster crackers on hand! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment