Monday, March 28, 2011

Motherhood Mania: Math Madness

Ok, so I got the title of this post from the whole March Madness thing. It's probably copyrighted or whatever....hope no one sues me. :)

First thing this morning after breakfast, I gave Iris and Lily 2 math worksheets to do...for fun. :) Of course I think math is fun! LOL. I'm building a math book for them, so I gave them the worksheets for numbers 1 and 2. Iris is getting so great at identifying her numbers 1 to 10 by sight. She is doing much better at counting objects in a set; she wasn't one for sitting still to point to each item and count it, so she would get all mixed up with which one she should be pointing to. Now, she holds the tip of the pencil on each one and counts it before moving to the next one. I'm loving it! :)

Lily still struggles with number recognition, but she's only 3 so I'm not worrying (or at least trying not to be such a perfectionist about her getting them all right every time. hahaha). She mostly liked me to count along with her and then get to coloring them!

I found the free printouts online. There are so many blogging moms out there that have written or are writing curriculum for preschool and kindergarten aged children. This is great news for me! :) I have saved so many printables and booklets to the computer; can't wait to print them all out and actually complete them!

I found an Alphabet book idea to do with the girls over the summer. Almost every day you work on a new letter and find things to stamp onto the letter's page. Then, the pages are combined into a spiral edged thing and it becomes an actual book that they can reuse all the time! That would be a great book for in the car! Oh, and I want to make a lapbook or quiet book for the girls! So many ideas!

AND, I got a ton of free fabric from a lady on Craigslist (a HUGE moving box of fabric cuts and scraps). Now, I'm working on saving up for a sewing machine. :) I have so many ideas for that, too - tank top dresses for the girls, pillow shams, fun things for school. And putting a zipper on one of the pages of the lap books would be much easier if I could just sew it on! BUT, I am trying to maintain some patience til I've actually saved up the money for it and not just jump into buying one and creating debt. SO HARD!

It's been a great Monday so far. Laundry is under way. Tomorrow I am picking up Ugandan necklaces from my friend Kathryn, since we couldn't do it today. I hate being behind on things, stuck at places I don't want to be, causing me to miss out on the errands I'd really like to get to....like seeing friends and picking up the necklaces! Ugh. At least Addy and I get to do it tomorrow. It'll actually be easier tomorrow, since Iris and Lily have school. So, I guess I should stop whining. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment