Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Easy Meat

A very easy way to make chicken is to just add a sauce. :) Last night, I got started late on dinner and decided to just use up a half bottle of barbecue sauce we had. So, I pulled out 4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, put them in a pan and poured the BBQ sauce over them. I set the temperature for low-medium and covered it. I let them cook for about 20 minutes, turning once to brown both sides. Then, I made slits about halfway through the meat and laid them slit-side down, lowered the temp to simmer and covered again. I let them simmer for about 30 more minutes, while I whipped up the rest of the meal.

I know Pillsbury Grands Biscuits are famous for having trans fats, so I hardly ever buy them....unless I can get them SUPER cheap like I did yesterday. I used a can of Grands for dinner last night. :) I have mixed feelings about trans fat. I know it's not healthy at all for us, but I feel like we do a good job in almost every other area of food, so we can "splurge" a little with them from time to time. :) 

I also got a really great deal on Birds Eye Steamfresh veggies and mixes. I brought home 6 packages for very little money (I would have had 9 packages, but they were out....guess I got there a little too late this week.). The thing I like about frozen veggies is that most are just the vegetable and no additives. Birds Eye Steamfresh are that way. We had the brown and wild rice mix with broccoli and carrots with our chicken last night. The ingredients were: brown rice, wild rice, water, broccoli and carrots. Imagine that! :) No sugars or salt or preservatives.....love that! After steaming them (in the bag, in the microwave, which is a great convenience on the late-start dinner nights!), I put a small dollop of butter on it as it seemed slightly dry. No salt or pepper added, and the girls loved it. :) I liked the taste, too. 

I haven't done my meal plan for this week and next, so I'm not totally sure what we're having tonight, but I hope to start earlier with the prep and make a more homemade meal tonight. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment