Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Au Gratin Potatoes with Ham

I made this Thursday night, to feed us and my in-laws (mom, dad, brother, and sister). The original recipe was in the Better Homes and Gardens Wedding cookbook I have, but I changed it around quite a bit to feed 6 adults and 3 kids. :)

Au Gratin Potatoes and Ham

1/4 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 small onion)
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup Cheddar (or American) cheese
5 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (I used about 5 3/4 cups to stretch the dish for more people)
Cooked Ham, chopped (I used leftover ham from earlier in the week - no measurement here, I just eyeballed what looked like a good amount!)

1/4 cup bread crumbs (or crushed crackers - I had some Clubhouse crackers to use up)
2 TBSP butter, melted

Cook onion in butter over medium heat, until butter is completely melted and onion is transparent. Add flour and stir to combine. Slowly add milk and continue stirring over medium heat, until boiling and thicker. Add cheeses and cook just until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place chopped ham in bottom of 13x9 baking dish. Layer potato slices over ham. Pour cheese mixture over top and be sure the top potato pieces have the cheese/milk mixture over them, so they don't burn. 

Combine melted butter and bread crumbs/crackers. Sprinkle over top of dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until bubbly and potatoes are tender when poked with fork. 

 Enjoy!

This was a hit with my in-laws. We ate the whole dish! I served it with homemade french bread, salad and some raw veggies (carrots, radishes and cucumbers). Perfect meal for a group! Great warm meal for a cool night as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment