Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: French Toast

This morning, I made french toast for breakfast. Mmmm. I looooove french toast but most of the time just don't want to do all the dipping in the egg. We have a lot of mouths to feed, so I get annoyed with the drippy egg mixture. :)

It's a really easy recipe, though, if you've never made it. There are lots of variations and some overnight french toast recipes I've tried, but here's one if you're just going to make it and eat it right away.

French Toast

4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon (i eyeball it, since we like cinnamon!)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 slices dry bread (any kind - brioche is best, but i know most people don't have it lying around!)
2 TBSP butter

Syrup
Powdered Sugar

Melt 1 TBSP butter in pan on medium heat.

Combine beaten eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in shallow bowl. Dip bread slices in mixture, one at a time, coating both sides. Place coated slices on hot pan. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove to serving plate and spread with butter. When pan's melted butter is gone, melt other TBSP of butter for remaining slices to cook, to keep from burning bread.

Serve with fruit, syrup, and/or powdered sugar.

Today, I served it with syrup and powdered sugar. We also had orange slices, strawberries and bananas that I needed to use up before we left for a few days tonight. Very yummy! The girls seem to like it when I make it, but they just don't understand why I would dip bread in eggs and then cook it. :) As long as they eat it, though....that's all I'm really concerned about. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment