Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Lasagna

Last night, we had a friend over for dinner. I made lasagna, but I changed it up a little bit. I have a ton of Ronzoni pasta from a deal a few weeks ago at Jewel, so I decided to use the Lasagna recipe on the back of the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Lasagna box. I made changes to it, too. :)

Lasagna

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
3 cups pasta sauce
1 1/2 cups water
12 Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Noodles
2 eggs
15 oz. cottage cheese (or ricotta)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups Mozzarella cheese

Brown ground turkey with green pepper and onion. Drain any fluid. Add in sauce and water. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and 1 cup Mozzarella in bowl. Mix completely, making sure egg yolks are mixed in.
Place 1 cup of sauce mixture in 13x9 baking dish. Lay 4 lasagna (uncooked) noodles over sauce. Top with half of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1 cup sauce, 4 noodles, and remaining cheese mixture. Top with last 4 noodles, remaining sauce and other 1 cup Mozzarella cheese. Be sure edges of top noodles have sauce on them, so they don't become hard in oven. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes and serve.

I served it with salad and some cut up raw veggies (carrots, radishes and cucumbers - yes, we LOVE veggies around here!). Our guest is diabetic, so I opted not to make any bread with it or a dessert. The green pepper was a great addition, I thought - added great flavor! I just had to make sure the pepper and onion were cooked with the meat at the beginning, so they could be mushy by the time it was completely baked. My husband does NOT like any crunchy pepper or onion in his food. :)

We ate about 3/4 of the pan of lasagna; I had just enough left to pack Arthur a lunch for today and to feed us girls for lunch here at home today.

Hope you find it just as tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment