Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rejocing in Recipes: Ham & Spinach Alfredo

So, I forgot to take meat out of the freezer for dinner on Friday. I ended up pulling out already cooked ham slices (that I had frozen). Here's what I threw together:

Pre-cooked frozen ham slices, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 box of spaghetti noodles, broken in half (makes it easier to serve and cut for my girls)
Jar of Ragu Creamy Alfredo Sauce - too lazy to make my own that night. :)
Fresh spinach leaves, about 2 handfuls, washed and chopped

I cooked the noodles until almost done, then threw in the spinach just to wilt it. Drain and return noodles and spinach to pan on low heat, adding in ham pieces and sauce. Stir frequently and heat through, making sure ham pieces are completely heated.

I served it with a salad, that also had spinach mixed in with it...my girls are loving spinach these days! No complaints here! :) And, I wanted garlic bread but didn't make anything in time, so I used leftover hot dog buns. Take them apart at the seam. Butter one side of each and lay on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle butter tops with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese (or Mozzarella cheese - both are delicious!). Heat under broiler (on High) for a few minutes until butter is browned and before bread starts to burn, maybe 3-5 minutes.

Yum, yum! A semi-homemade Italian meal. I like getting creative with bread usage. Those buns had been sitting for a while and were starting to dry out, so it was nice to be able to use them up. And I had a large bag of Spinach that was starting to go; I was happy to be able to use it in the pasta dish, as well as in the salad.

It pays to be creative sometimes - less waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment