Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: A Year with God by R.P. Nettlelhorst

I received a copy of this book through www.booksneeze.com for review. I had not read anything by R.P. Nettelhorst, and I was very interested in this style of devotional book.

I liked that the devotionals were grouped by topic in the book. It covered A LOT of topics, which was nice. I did not really enjoy that all the days that had to do with one topic were listed in a row. So, for the first 28 days, all the devotionals were on "Hope and Fear". I would have liked to see the topics mixed up a bit more for more variety throughout the week/month, instead of all month being on one category.

Each day is given one page, which includes the printed out Bible verse(s) and the author's thoughts or encouraging words. It didn't seem like enough space to really get into the author's explanation of the Scripture or really get in-depth about the topic. To me, it seemed like it skimmed over the thoughts of the verses. It was a nice thought for the day, but I felt like I really needed to supplement with more Scripture or another devotional book for more reading about the topic or passage.

Overall, I probably would not recommend this book for an in-depth study of God's Words to us in the Old Testament. It would be a nice gift for maybe a graduate or new Christian looking for short daily readings as an introduction to the character of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment