Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Brown Bag Burritos

I made these last week for dinner and to freeze. They are pretty good. I haven't made burritos in a long time, but I was glad I did. I had enough for dinner and a ton more to freeze. They're good for lunches (if you can heat them up) and for even a snack. Good source of fiber, too! I added in black beans because I only had one can of refried beans. Tasted the same, just a little lumpier since the black beans weren't all mushed like the refried beans were. 

Brown Bag Burritos
  • 2 lb. ground beef
  • 2 cans refried beans (I make my own)
  • 1 1/3 c. enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/3 c. minced onion (I use dried)
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 3 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever)
  • 20 flour tortillas (burrito-size)
Brown ground beef; drain.  Add remaining ingredients (except tortillas).  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Heat 3-4 tortillas at a time.  Spoon 1/4 c. beef mixture down the side of each tortilla. Roll up.  Wrap each burrito in a paper towel, then wrap in foil. Refrigerate or freeze. When ready to eat, remove foil and microwave for about a minute.  The paper towel keeps the burritos moist.  If you don’t use a microwave, skip the paper towel and just wrap in foil.  Then heat burritos in the oven with foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment