Monday, February 21, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Shredded Pork

I made pork loin yesterday in the crock pot. I put it (2 + lbs) in at 6:30AM and took it out for dinner at 4:30PM. I didn't put much seasoning on it - just a little black pepper, dried minced garlic, and some Adobo seasoning. I put about 3/4 " of water in with it and didn't touch it again for 10 hours. It fell off the bone and shredded so nicely! 

I made mashed potatoes and carrots to go with it. There was enough juices from the meat, I could have made a gravy, but I didn't feel like tipping the crock pot and trying to make it, so I just made a white sauce with lots of pepper to act as a gravy. I make the white sauce often with our mashed potatoes. It's super simple and can go over meat, veggies, pasta, etc.

Basic White Sauce

1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste (we like it peppery, so I always add a lot of pepper)
2 cups milk

Melt butter in saucepan on medium heat. Add in flour and whisk until combined. Cook for a minute or so more, til bubbly and pulling from sides of pan. Add in salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in milk and be sure to combine completely. Cook on medium/high heat for several minutes, stiring or whisking continuously, until bubbly and thickens. Remove from heat and cover until ready to serve. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment