Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lessons in Love: Future

I keep reading posts about the current economic status and gas prices and the craziness of this world. At first, I was thinking "who cares? I'm having a baby and I have bigger things to worry about." Then I read a post today by a Christian woman/mom/blogger, who is very knowledgeable about the economy and food prices and inflation and gas and anything else that's happening. She made a good point about how Christians today don't seem to be interested in the state of the world. We're all stuck in our own little worlds worrying about things that really just don't matter. Made sense to me. I've been worried about whether or not Arthur will be able to go to visit my family with us this weekend (turns out he can't; he'll be stuck working all weekend now. ugh!!!). I tend to tune out the news when they talk about the riots overseas or about the current war status or about the Dow Jones. I know I shouldn't live my life based on how the world is because I know how this all ends, BUT I also know God doesn't want me to be ignorant of what's happening in the world. There are things bigger than whether or not I should make refried beans or just buy them in a can. I know gas prices can't be controlled, but I should be aware of what that means for our financial decisions and that we should be wise about our purchases and future plans. The riots don't affect me much, other than gas prices, but what about praying for those over there that are in the thick of it?? What about the missionaries affected by the riots? 

I need to remember, daily, to think outside my little world. Yes, I should be sharing Jesus' love with those around me, but I should also remember those that don't have it as easy as I do and don't even have the time to consider what kind of beans to make for dinner because they're just trying to make it through the day...alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment