Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Garden Salad with Chicken Strips

Last night was a pretty boring dinner night. :) I had thawed some boneless, skinless chicken breasts for dinner, thinking I'd make a casserole. My husband said he wasn't really in the mood for a casserole (of course! lol), so we decided on big salads for everyone with chicken pieces on top. It sounded really delicious.

I just cut the chicken into thin strips and seasoned with Goya's Adobo seasoning and some black pepper. I heated up Extra Light-Tasting Olive Oil in a large pan and cooked the chicken on Med-Low, covered, until they were cooked through.

For the salad, we just chopped up lettuce and did small bowls of toppings, so it was sort of like a build-your-own salad. We had shredded carrot, diced tomato, radish slivers, and shredded cheese. I was hoping to have some cucumber, but the last piece I had was soft and mushy, so I didn't try to slice that up.

We each put whatever we wanted on top; the girls chose to have their chicken on the side and just ate it by itself. I also made some white rice and a white sauce/gravy to go on it. I wasn't sure if the salads would be filling enough for everyone.

It went over well and we had just enough lettuce and sides for me to throw together for Arthur's lunch today. Plenty of rice and sauce for everyone to have a little for lunch today, also.

I like doing salads in the Spring and Summer because they don't require cooking (or very little, if you do chicken on top) and they are so healthy. I wish I'd had some spinach or romaine to throw in with the lettuce, but I didn't exactly have these salads planned out ahead of time, so we worked with what we had. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment