Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rejoicing in Recipes: Pizza Burgers

After a busy and full day of grocery shopping, I was rushing around at 5:00, trying to think of what to make for dinner (yes, that means I did NOT do my menu plan for this week). I remembered my plan to make pizza burgers to freeze for when the baby arrives, so I decided to make some for dinner. Always a great standby for a last minute meal. Very easy, and we almost always have the ingredients on hand.

Pizza Burgers

1 lb ground chuck (we used 1 1/2 lbs last night, so we could have lots of leftovers for lunch!)
8 oz pizza sauce (I used 10 or 12 oz of a 15 oz can for the 1.5 lbs)
8 Hamburger buns (we had 12 with our extra meat)
4 American Cheese slices, cut in half
4 Mozzarella Cheese slices, cut in half (you could just use shredded here, no big deal)

Brown meat. Drain. Add sauce and heat through. Scoop onto bottom half of buns, top with 1/2 slice of each kind of cheese. Cover with top half of bun. If making to freeze, individually wrap in foil and freeze for up to 2 months. If making all together for dinner that night, place on baking sheet and cover whole tray of them with foil. Warm in oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and buns and starting to get crispy.

We had this with a mish-mash of sides - chips, applesauce, grapes (all the individual ones that didn't fit into the bowl I had out to put the grapes in. lol), and some instant mashed potatoes. I know, INSTANT mashed tatoes? Well, I had gotten a couple free packages from Idahoan and we had one left. It wasn't going to feed all of us, so I just made them and set them out for whomever wanted them. They weren't bad, but they definitely were no REAL potatoes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment